As bloggers, we obviously do a LOT of writing and also, a LOT of editing. I noticed, as I go over all my posts, there are some mistakes I tend to make way too often. Most of the time, I don’t even notice I’ve messed up and other times, I personally think my mistakes look “better” than what is actually proper… LOL, I know. I’m so self-righteous. 😛
1. I mix up my past, present, and future tense conjugations all the time.
Whenever my sentences are a bit ‘off,’ I’ll go over them and try to change up words, punctuation marks, etc. but, most of the time I realize it’s because… I’m typing in two different tenses. One paragraph or sentence will be in the present, the next in the past, and another in the future. This mistake is one that’s embarrassingly hard for me to catch because I do it so often, it doesn’t always seem wrong to me.
2. I use certain words over and over again! I even catch myself when I do it but, can never come up with a better replacement. Feel free to give me some synonyms for any of these:
3. I don’t hesitate to start my sentences with the words, ‘because,’ ‘and’, or ‘but.’
I definitely learned in some high school English class that we’re not supposed to ever start a sentence with any of these three words but, no one can mark or grade my blog posts anyways so HA!
4. Run-on sentences are my specialty.
Where there should be a period, you will often find me inserting ellipses, commas, dashes, or semi-colons. I don’t know why. It’s like, a way for me to show my thoughts are not over. A period seems too abrupt at times.
5. Whenever I type out the word ‘both,’ 8 out of 10 times, my fingers slip and I get ‘bother’ instead.
I wonder why my fingers are trained this way but, it’s actually annoying. I usually catch it right when it comes out on the screen and backspace it out, though, I know there have been plenty of times I’ve completely read over the mistake!
What are some writing mistakes YOU often make? Do we have any in common? What words do you overuse?